Monday, October 16, 2006

Highly Dramatic

Little girls love drama. Actually, a lot of big girls love it, too...but I'm exposed to little girl drama on a more regular basis. Megan and her friends go through love/hate cycles. These life span of these cycles is about 18 hours. Maybe less. But that doesn't seem to stop the tears from falling. One night last week, Megan was crying at bedtime. I asked her why, and she related the following....all names have been changed, mostly because I can't fucking spell most of her friends names...

"Well, we were playing tetherball and Jane did a foul, so I called her on it, but she got mad and then she said she didn't like me anymore and then she made Sue not like me, and then they made Jill not like me, and then they started a club for not liking me and Betsy, Lola and Gloria all joined and now no one likes me and I'll never have another friend as long as I live."

My advice to her was to wait until the next day before accepting her fate as the school outcast. I pointed out that she's had arguments with her friends before, thought that they were the end of the world, and realized later that it wasn't such a big deal after everyone calmed down. I also pointed out that if several people get pissed at her, it's probably because she's being particularly bitchy that day.

The following afternoon, when I arrived at daycare to pick her up, I asked "Are your friends still your friends?" They were. Huh. Imagine that. Girl drama that isn't really all that dramatic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the names...