Thursday, May 11, 2006

Who I Hate Today

Last fall, my daughter had to get fillings and have a tooth removed. Prior to getting this work done, I had to give the dentist a check for somewhere between $200-300. I don't remember the exact amount right off hand. Anyway, they happily took my check, pulled a tooth, put fillings in other teeth, and then sent us on our way. A few months later, I got a bill for $485. I called to ask why. I was told that my insurance covered silver fillings at 80%, but that they had put in white fillings, which the insurance covers at %50. Let me recap...the dentist office called my insurance and asked what they covered for fillings...they did not specify that they were going to use the more expensive fillings...they got a dollar amount that the insurance allowed...passed that amount on to me as what had to be paid before getting the work done. At no point did anyone tell me that that particular dental office only used white fillings and that I would be stuck paying an extra $485 if I chose to have the work done there. No one told me that I could choose to go to another office and have silver fillings used.

That brings us to today. After getting a phone call from a collection agency, I decided to give another shot at talking the dentist into not making me pay the additional $485. They were less than agreeable. So I called back and asked them to send me a copy of the kids' records, planning to take the records along with us when we visit our new dentist for the first time. They said I could have a copy, but that since there was a balance on my account, I'd have to pay a fee for the duplicating fees. I said ok, thinking it would be, what...maybe $10 to make copies? Not so much. The price is $100 per child. They want me to pay them $200 to run the fucking copier. What the hell is wrong with people?

2 comments:

Kara said...

That dentists are bloodsucking vermin!!

Miss Devylish said...

Dude.. go in there and face them.. and be firm, but don't raise your voice.. That is fucking ridiculous and they're just trying to get money out of you cuz they think you owe them. I would call your insurance company and say they defrauded you.. that is stuff they shouldn't have done.. or threaten to sue. That's wrong.