Friday, July 14, 2006

Let's Get Educated

My sister has a college degree. A Bachelor of Arts in Communication. That means she had to take a lot of English classes. She put a note in the birthday card that she sent to me. It reads:

Hopefully, you'll have new pics of Brendan before you get this card. We were gonna get one of all the kids done, but Katie got a bug bite on her forehead.

Wonderful grammar and structure, no? I realize that I can't really make fun, because my grammar is horrible...especially when I'm speaking. But my degree was in a technical field. We're expected to suck at writing. The expectation is strong enough that every CS advisor will stress the importance of passing the writing exam required for graduation. They even offer to tutor for free if a student feels that he needs the help. Her degree is in journalism. She had to write articles for several classes in college. Enough so that following the basic rules of English would be a natural act. Writing things incorrectly should just feel wrong, even without thinking about it. My first thought was "well, how good can a university in Tennessee be?" But I went there for a couple of semesters, and my classes more challenging the school where I finished my degree. Maybe they have different rules for grammar in TN. What she wrote could be completely, grammatically correct by the rules she learned. Nah....I think she's just too lazy to do it right.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"But I went there for a couple of semesters, and my classes more challenging the school where I finished my degree. Maybe they have different rules for grammar in TN." obviously, i don't even know whatshyualler tryin to say here