Sunday, March 23, 2008

A Night in the Life

Saturday night. Easter Eve. It's late. The kids have decided to sleep on the pullout couch in the living room, but that they're watching a movie before going to sleep. This means that I can't go out the front door to get the Easter baskets out of the car.

My plan was to go out the sliding door downstairs, go the side of the house, go through the fence, get the baskets out of my car and bring them into my bedroom.

What actually happened was that I went downstairs and out the sliding door, just as the kids decided to chase one of the cats downstairs. They noticed the open door and locked it. When I got to the fence, I dropped my cell phone. I have no idea why I was carrying it. The battery fell out. I picked up the pieces, got the baskets out of the car, and went back around to the sliding door. Which is now locked. I thought my best option at this point was to scale the terraced walls under our bedroom window (did I mention that I had on a robe? JUST a robe) and try to get Vince's attention. He came down to let me in. Followed by both kids. I managed to leave the baskets out of sight, and convince the kids that I was just out there smoking a cigarette. Then I got a cigarette lecture. "Those are bad for you, you know." We all went back in, a few minutes later, I went back for the baskets. And all was well in the Velie household.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

MOTY!

Unknown said...

At least there is one good thing about smoking....lying excuse!